Thursday, May 20, 2010

Just fucking wow!

Where to start!

I'm not sure who to be more furious at... the government for it's grossly inadequate oversight of these idiots out there drilling offshore or the idiots offshore that seemed to be doing this in as slapdash a fashion as possible. There's literally thousands of gallons of oil a day gushing into the gulf and you've got fucking idiot senators still pushing for drilling in ANWR. How about we fix the current disaster before we get off on destroying the only piece of untouched habitat we've got left...okay. This whole thing is SO horrifying I don't even know where to start. I think when it's all said and done the true scope of this disaster won't really be known because people won't want to measure it or it'll be so fucking huge accurately measuring it will be out of the question. When the entire gulf is a destroyed soupy oily mess devoid of sea life, you just stand on an oily sandbar with your clip board and under "Habitat Assessment" you'll write "Fucked!" and you pass in your findings.

I don't know what game North Korea is playing at. I don't possibly see how sinking a South Korean destroyer accomplishes anything. Brinkmanship would be shooting across their bow or something... I mean... they just committed an act of war! I don't see what any other regional power gains from restarting the Korean war. Where do we go from here? Do we start sinking North Korean submarines? That would cause them to freak out and pull the trigger. Has the military in NK just gone rough and they're doing their own thing without their dear leaders permission? Also how much longer can China keep a lid on this? I have to imagine the phone call from Beijing to Pyongyang started with "Seriously? How the fuck are we going to explain this?"

The other thing I wanted to talk about was the possibly awesome news that they were able to synthetically create a bacteria. Yeah, I understand it wasn't of their own design, but the mere fact that they got all the bits to work is awesome. I know, the uncle Ben quote applies here, but the possibilities of once we start writing our own genome sequences and then putting them together to create organisms, that's when it'll get crazy. As for right now, I'm just waiting for all the crazies to come out of the woodwork in a frothing mass.

No comments: