Wednesday, May 28, 2014

What we've shown is that we really don't care.

I'm in this terrible place where there's so much terrible news that I almost need to disengage. It's just too much.  I did however turn on the news about the tragedy in California.

It got me wondering how we managed to get to this place and it also caused me to realize something.... As a society we just don't care.

More than a year ago, a classroom full of children were mowed down in cold blood.  You would have thought that would have been the moment that collectively as a society we all looked up and said "Enough is enough."  We would have made sensible changes to our guns laws, tried to understand the tragedy and prevent it from happening again.

We got none of that.  The vested powers that include groups like the NRA basically said, "We don't give a fuck how many children need to die."  --- Note I'm paraphrasing from what really happened which was that the president said "We need to fix it so that people with mental illness don't have access to guns!" and congress said "Sure!" and then did nothing.  Or tried to half do something except they couldn't because there was a sub group who didn't want to do anything... it was all very confusing, except for the part where nothing happened.

Now, I should point out, I'm not anti-gun.  I'm just anti crazy people having access to guns.  I'm just anti unfettered access to weapons at trade shows without background checks.

I'm boggled by the idea that this country has essentially 50 completely different sets of gun laws and regulations that swing from "Sure! Have a bazooka!" over to "Hmm, pepper spray... you'll need a license for that."

There has to be some sensible place in the middle.  A place where law abiding citizens can own firearms but where we don't mass killings every six months.

The tired argument you all ways hear is "Guns don't kill people", okay fine, but they sure help crazy people do it with efficiency.

No comments: